Monday, July 30, 2012

The Quick and the Dead

colorist wanted

I've spent the last 3 and half days sorting through a trove of old photographs. I've watched myself grow-up.  I've visited old wives and girlfriends. I've relived elementary, high school, college, and medical school graduations. I've rekindled relationships with long dead relatives. I've become reacquainted with every house in which I've ever lived. All in all, I've had a chance to think about just where I've been and what I've been doing for the last 55 years.

The project is pretty much complete and it will be fun to sit and watch the show for 20 minutes or so. Getting it ready was work for an undertaker. Such an odd feeling scanning old faded photographs and slides where time has caused a shift in color. I must have spent hours with my relatively unsophisticated software, trying to remember and restore hair color, facial skin tones, get just the right shade of green on that pantsuit.

If you have any old photos tucked away I would encourage you to arm yourself with a cheap scanner--like 80 bucks. When that first rainy fall or winter day shows up to keep you tucked inside, then get to work. The effort will help preserve those photographs which otherwise will gradually degrade to nothing. And, too, you'll have the opportunity to revisit some surprisingly pleasant memories. Just watch your step-- you may find a booby trap or two.

1 comment: