Saturday, July 7, 2012

Rent vs. Own

Things could be worse.


Now that we've sold our vacation spot in Arizona were are free to travel the world. Or, at least the United States on those precious vacation days each year. We think we've made the right choice.

Since we've sold we are actually spending the last couple of days of the week in a hotel. The Westin Kierland in Scottsdale is a great place for adults and kids and we have this great suite. I am reminded, however, of the difference between renting and owning as I sit here working on my laptop. In the condo I could get up in the middle of the night, grab a drink, sit in the living room and work on my computer at a counter or on the couch. There's a living room here but Ev's sleeping on the pull-out. There's a fridge here, but that's also adjacent to where Ev's sleeping. There's a desk here, but that's next to the bed where Tam's sleeping.

I'm reminded of all this while I sit here with this laptop computer on my lap. On a dressing stool. In the bathroom. Perhaps if I were to fill the tub, climb in, light a cigar, and pour a glass of good scotch on the rocks I would feel better about it-- or at least more appropriate. That might work if I were writing a great war novel a'la Hemingway. But I don't smoke cigars. Or drink scotch. And I hate war.

Rent vs. own?? I'll have to give that one a little more thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment