Friday, July 6, 2012

Minivan Dreams




On my short list of cars I like is the minivan. I'm one of 63 males in the United States who likes minivans. They look dorky, they don't come close to the style of a nice fat 1972 Ford Country Squire wagon-- the mom car of my youth-- but the minivan is comfortable, uber practical, and hauls practically anything in comfort. So, hey, I'm out. I like minivans.

When it was time to look for a new car a few months back I tried for the umpteenth time to talk Tam into letting me look at one. She was subtle in her opposition, something like "Do you really want to live alone?" Same thing my daughter had told me years earlier.  As we would drive around I would point out the different minivans on the road to which Tam would say, "You really do want to live alone, don't you?"

So here we are in Phoenix trying to get all of our stuff packed up and off to Fed Ex for shipment. (Which, by the way, is the only way to do it. Cheap and quick) So, when it came time to figure how we were going to get 4 large boxes-- and one small one-- to Fed Ex on Thursday, and 3 bike boxes over there on Friday, I had the answer in hand: Rent a minivan. And that, my friend, is how I came to find my wife behind the wheel Dodge Grand Caravan, ripping down the freeway with our guy in his booster seat, and 4 big boxes-- and one small-- with a smile on her face saying, "this is pretty nice."

Yes, it happened. It's too little too late but I may have cracked the window. I'm just a couple years away from my next purchase and I can't wait to remind her just how well she liked my minivan. I can dream, can't I? Hopefully I've made a lasting impression and next time I'll get my bus. Otherwise, I'm afraid by the time I get my minivan I'll have lost my license and need it wheelchair equipped!

1 comment: