Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Good Laugh



My son was playing with our young dog the other night. They were deep in a contest of tug-a-war with the pup digging in his paws and shaking his head, towel in mouth. Ev's responses ranged from giggles to paroxysmal laughter.  He was just absolutely loosing it, doubled over, holding his belly laughing.

Thinking about it the next morning I had to wonder, when was the last time I laughed that hard for that long? Looking around me at work I wonder the same thing: When was the last time any of these people laughed that hard for so song?

"Laughter is the Best Medicine" was section in the Reader's digest my parents subscribed to for years. The value of laughter in well-being and health is well documented but I have to say I don't think we laugh enough. Somehow, at some point, we either become too grown-up to look for laughs or we become too busy to look. We pay homage to laughter with little chuckles and giggles now and then but may of us seem to become less and less able to laugh to the point of tears.

Some might say my timing is bad. With all the horror in our world today perhaps looking for laughs is insensitive. I would say not. Looking for laughs is not only appropriate but, very much, the best medicine.

Good luck in your search.

No comments:

Post a Comment