Monday, July 16, 2012

Crowning Achievement



Too busy. Usually a person is never really too busy. At least not me. But sometimes I get too discombobulated to get the things done I need done. Busy morning, busy day, busy week.

A few weeks ago I was eating some of my (never will be) world famous granola when I managed to wedge a small bit of steel cut oat between a restoration (grown-up for filling) and the inside wall of a tooth. Suddenly, something felt different. No pain. Just different.

It wasn't too long before I started to notice that I could wiggle part of that last-seat-orchestra-level-on-the-left molar just like when I was 6. Cool. But not so cool.  It doesn't take a genius to realize you've broken a tooth. So, for every day since, I kept telling myself to call the dentist. But it really didn't hurt. And a lot of the time I could eat, brush, and floss and it didn't even wiggle. Who needs a dentist when it doesn't even wiggle? Even my Bosch power brush thing didn't make it wiggle.

I don't mind going to the dentist; I just don't like sitting still for longer than it takes to get a haircut. Nonetheless I went Friday. I thought I better have the thing looked at before I walk in to see a patient and say, "So how's it going?" and watch in horror as the wall of my tooth goes flying into the patient's shirt pocket-- or worse.

It took only about 5 minutes to realize why I didn't want to be sitting in the dentist's chair on that beautiful afternoon: Aging. All those years you would go to the dentist, get a cleaning, get an up-close look at the cute hygienist, a sample of floss, a toothbrush, and-- bam-- you're on your way. Nope. Now I'm there because I've reached the age where the warranties have begun to expire on every filling I've ever had over the years (and that's a few).  A person wants aging to be a somewhat private thing, you know? I mean the hair color may change and the abdomen looks a little, shall we say, fuller-- but you can still fake it. Walk fast. Get a tan. Color your hair. Wear loose clothes. Get sucked, tucked, lifted, and stacked. But your teeth falling out?? Not cool.

My permanent implant should be ready in just a few days. This guy does good work and, by then, hey, I'll probably want to open wide and show everyone my new crown. Who doesn't want to wear a crown?


1 comment: