Monday, July 9, 2012

New Job



For the past 20 some years I've been working for the same guy…me. I used to fantasize that, when I went into practice I would do whatever I want:  If it's too nice a day I would just cancel office and go hang out. If I was too tired I would just go in late. Right.

When you're self-employed as a physician it turns out you don't really work for yourself. It turns out you work for everyone. Yes, you can cancel office and go for a bike ride instead-- but you'll pay for it. You'll lose revenue and, worse still, you'll just get to double-up later in order to see all those people who needed to be seen while you went for your bike ride. It's a pay now or pay more later scenario. Just ask my medical assistant: If I tell her on short notice I need to be gone on Thursday, she'll give me a look and then say, "Okay. We'll figure it out." That usually means I'll be back in that office on some other day and time with a whole lot heavier load or when I really had hoped to be off.

As of July 9th I don't work for myself anymore. As of July 9th I won't be signing my paycheck anymore. Instead, I work for the hospital where I do the majority of my surgery. I don't expect a whole lot of rule changes but there is a certain change in the karma of the job. For better or for worse? I don't know. Ask me in a year.

In the meantime I hope the job change offers some respite from the constant distraction of administrative hoops: figuring out procedures and requirements that change about every quarter; worrying whether Medicare and Medicaid will be cut this year; having to consider which insurance plans we take; concern with employees, their wages and benefits. The administrative side of medicine has taken on a life of its own. It supports thousands of jobs. I haven't seen the numbers but I would imagine that for every practicing physician there must be at least another 10 people employed outside of direct patient care.

At any rate, I have a new job. Same work. Same office. Same hours. New boss. Weird. But I'll make it work. Just no more calling in all the time just because the weather's nice. Like that ever happened!

No comments:

Post a Comment