Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Trying to Recall



An acquaintance of mine, a man about my age, recently was told he had some type of early memory loss going on. It might be Alzheimer's. It might be post-traumatic. It's supposedly real and, they fear, progressive.

I don't know about you but whenever I hear a story like that I start to think of myself and do inventory. What about the times I forget what I'm doing? What about the times I forget where I put my wallet? What about the times I call my son by the dog's name-- or vice versa?

I see dementia on a fairly regular basis. I see it from mild to extreme and I'm not sure what it is. Are these people vacated from their former selves? Is it all still there and simply trapped behind a wall unavailable to them and hidden from us?

At the end of the day I'm not sure and don't want to find out. Meanwhile, as long as I can keep my there, their, and they're sorted properly, I'll remain reasonably confident my memory still works.

No comments:

Post a Comment