Friday, August 3, 2012

A Champion's Motivation



I don't think anyone can deny the athletic greatness of Michael Phelps. He is a true champion in addition to being what seems like a fairly fun loving guy; a guy who is a team player and supports his teammates in their efforts, even as competitors. Phelps deserves the gold on several fronts.

But what, you might wonder, makes Phelps tick? The answer lies to either side of those big ears. Phelps never appears without those Sol Republic track headphones. It's not the headphones, though, it's what's coming through them:

   "Michael? Michael! This is your mother. Get that water out of your ears! Now you listen to me and you listen good! I didn't come all the way to London England to see some damn castle or Queen. And I certainly didn't come all this way to watch you lose. Are you hearing me? Now you get up there and you swim that little tush I powdered and diapered for the first year of your life right off!  Understand? Do you want the whole world to see your mother cry on television? Close up? Is that what you want? Now you get up there and you swim boy, swim!!! Look this way if you love, honey. That's my boy."

The rest, as the saying goes, is Olympic history.



No comments:

Post a Comment