Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Incommunicado




Every time I get on an airplane I am reminded of just how addicted we all become to our "connectedness." Regardless of the fact we have nothing to say, no one to say it to, and nothing we need to hear said, we can't stop. For example, I can't remember the last time I was on a plane that pushed back from the gate without having someone still on their phone. For example, upon landing and as soon as the wheels hit the ground the phones come on and the whole damn airplane starts to check for voice and e-mail. For example, the woman sitting ahead of me last Friday had to be implored by her husband to get up with the kids and get off the plane….because she was in the middle of a purchase transaction on the Aeropostal web site. Seriously.

Last week I spent about 5 days without access. Not quite "no lights, no phone, no motor car"  but conditions were primitive enough to leave me off line and fully disconnected from TV as well-- Olympics or not. Surprisingly, it took only about 4 hours to start to enjoy the loss of technology. I mean, my phone worked, but I had no one to call. And almost no one wanted to call me. And, once I realized it didn't matter, that there were other things to do, that nothing bad was going to happen, then I could actually look out and start to think about where I was and who and what I was seeing.

Here's a tip: Try it-- at least the next time you take some "time off." You may risk symptoms of withdrawal: irritability, inability to concentrate, feelings of hopelessness and abandonment.  But you'll survive it. And who knows? You may find you like the unplugged life.

No comments:

Post a Comment