Friday, August 24, 2012

The Rod Stewart Effect

Ho, Ho, Ho!


I heard on the radio the other day that Rod Stewart is working on a Christmas album. Oy vey! I went through a period when I was all about holiday music and I gobbled up (wow! great choice of words) every genre of holiday music I bumped into back in the day of, yes, seriously, record/CD stores and book stores that sold such things. (Anyone else miss Borders?)

Around early December I still pull out that file of music and give 'em a spin for a few weeks. Then it's back on the shelf for another 11.25 months. I have jazz and electronic, Motown, Sinatra, Crosby, Day, Martin, country, blues, bluegrass, swing, and on and on and on. I even have a gob of the "Very Special Christmas" releases. But Rod Stewart?

I have never been a huge fan of Rod Stewart with one exception: Maggie May. That song had amazing appeal to this 14 year old waking up to KHJ on his AM clock radio. "Wake up Maggie I think I got somethin' to say to you..." God, the very thought of being in school and tangled up with, what I assumed from the song, was an older, wiser, and wilder woman was simply beyond the beyond! God let me be similarly late back to school just one day! Amazing and fantastic stuff to a hormonally infused teenage boy.

He's done a lot of other good tunes but that one is the touchstone for me. And, for me, it's just way too long a walk from Maggie's bed To Irving Berlin's White Christmas. I can't imagine I'll be adding Rod's holiday offering to the file.

2 comments:

  1. Rod's album of standards is better than all the other old rockers' album of standards, so why shouldn't he take on Xmas? "Wake up, Santa, I think I've got something to say to you... it's late December and I really should be back at shul..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have a problem with old rockers doing standards. It's me, not them.

    ReplyDelete