Monday, January 2, 2012

The Tug of a Tugboat

The Sally S


Being a single guy has its advantages. When I was single I was able to indulge my whims. Being single, combined with drinking way too much, not only let me indulge my whims, it also let me spoil the hell out of my inner child. That kid got damn near anything he wanted! I could never quite satisfy the needy little bastard but it was fun trying. 

Needless to say, I indulged a few whims. But, in spite of my best efforts, I never succeeded in checking a few big-ticket items off that kid’s “want” list. A vintage Ferrari, a railroad dining car (Justified: potential revenue source), an antique pick-up truck, and a first generation jet airliner (Justified: Intended to donate to museum= tax deduction) and a vintage wooden cabin cruiser—all unmet “needs.” And there were others. Fortunately, I never really had the means to get too close to the fire in this madness. That, and I was so easily distracted by the next shiny object there was never enough time to act before moving on to the next great thing.

Lo and behold, on New Year’s Day, that snotty little inner child showed up again. Among the people who dropped over that day, one couple are boat owners. Well, as sometimes can happen, one thing led to another and next thing you know, there I am with Jim and Amanda drooling all over Tam’s new iPad… looking at boats! I even got my wife looking at boats with us. It was all fun and good-natured until I went too far.

To understand, you need to appreciate that a tugboat has been on my list since the first time I heard the story of Little Toot. And, too, one has to know these material impulses are like chicken pox: The virus can lay dormant for years until, one day, you’re exposed again and, presto!, another out break. And that’s how it happened. One minute you're just sitting there going, “wow, oooh, aaaah.” It’s all smiles and good-natured fun. The next minute I’m sitting there wondering how much it would cost to transport a 70 foot long, 17 foot wide, tugboat to Michigan. Or maybe we could just get a slip in Washington and call it good?

By the light of a new day I realize I will (probably) never have my tugboat. The good news today, however, is that I already have all that I need. My life is good and I know that many great adventures and opportunities lie ahead.

Still, I may just buy a lottery ticket this week. I don’t buy lottery tickets but, then, it is a new year.


p.s.  If, after watching the video, you want a tug of your own: http://retiredtugs.org/3/boat-roster/display-boat-details/?id=24





2 comments:

  1. This image belongs to me, Madge Bloom. You have not gotten permission to use it, either you need to give me credit or you need to remove it from your site. email: madge@theviewfromrighthere.com - the image bears my watermark.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete