Monday, January 30, 2012

Cherish the Days



After playing one of his new releases, I heard a DJ on the radio talk about Paul McCartney. She commented on how he continues to just get better with time, even as he nears the end of his 7th decade. I had to think about that boy and all the amazing times and events he's had since his 20th birthday. And then, at the same time, I had to wonder: how long does it take before a person starts paying attention to all those good days? Are there days and events that he cherishes from 23? 29? 40? Are those memories tucked safely away?

In my life of nothing approaching celebrity, I have nonetheless had my share of great times and great days. As I get older I try to do a better job of paying attention. Good days are not uncommon but I'm learning not to take them for granted. Fortunately, there are a lot of wonderful days and events and times in the last 50 years that I do remember. There are even more, however, that I can't bring into focus.

Sunday was a perfect day. They don't come along all that often and I am so happy when I have the wherewithal to pay attention and watch the thing unfold. Ev and I got up early, made coffee and cinnamon rolls, and it started to snow.  Mom helped and Ev got a lesson in hammer and nails as we (finally) started to put things together to make him a real train layout in the basement. Within 2 hours we had a full blown snow day in progress. We bundled up and went outside, We shoveled snow and we went sledding in the snow. We came inside and got warmed up and finally we sledded some more. By dinner time friends had joined us and we ended up grilling steaks and having a good time by the fire. Nothing planned: The weather, the sledding, the impromptu dinner party, the toasty fire.

After the guests had left, Ev came out to the den where the fire was still burning. He sat in his pajamas on the hearth and then came the ending that made a great day perfect: Ev asked me if I'd like to sit by him next to the fire where it was nice and warm. One of the best invitations I've ever received. And in the next moment Mom joined us and it was Tam, Evan, and me sitting on that hearth in front of the fire, recalling what a great day it had been. And when Ev finally put his head down on my lap it was time for him to go to bed.

Certainly there are lots and lots of good days in a person's lifetime. There are lots of great days as well. But the perfect days are usually only given out by the handful. One can only hope you live long enough, and well enough, to pay attention and tuck each one carefully away in memory. Many come too soon in life and they fade into the blue-gray blur of youth. Just keep in mind: It's never too early or too late to start your collection. Good days, great days, and, of course, the perfect days; collect them all. And pay attention! Sometimes it arrives in just a moment at the end of the day but it's all that's needed to go from good to great and from great to perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment