Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Organic 1



My daughter has her first organic chemistry exam today. Her friends refer to the class as "orgo" but I assure her the abbreviation is entirely inappropriate. Orgo sounds more closely related to sexual function than the chemistry of carbon. Why confuse one of life's best experiences with one of life's worst? It's "organic" and leave it at that.

Otherwise, Kels is way ahead of me aside from having the shorthand title of the course screwed up. My organic professor was a peculiar man and an enthusiastic, caring and fair instructor. Nonetheless I spent the better part of the 24 hours immediately preceding my first organic exam parked in the bathroom.  And, if I recall with any clarity, the second exam required somewhat less than a hour in the bathroom. By the third I had fully regained all bodily functions--  aside from heart rate, blood pressure, and perspiration which remained problematic throughout the year.

Organic chemistry was, and still is, big stuff because it is pretty much designed to be (and has little function other than being) the biggest stumbling block on the path to obtaining a medical education.  It was the most renowned of several classes the student simply had to do, and do well, if one wanted to go on to medical school.

I just finished reviewing a large study put together by the Macy Foundation looking at medical, and graduate medical, education. In a time of looming physician shortage there is much to be considered in terms of streamlining and fortifying the process of educating doctors. And if the intended outcome is for the US to produce more and better doctors there is probably a whole lot about the pre-medical education that needs to be examined as well; not the least of which is considering the value of the basic sciences like organic.

Be that as it may, organic chemistry remains a pre-requisite and Kels still has her first organic exam today. Looking at my daughter I realize just how much better prepared she is in life than I was at her age and station. Where I was confused and scared and stressed she is clear and calm and relatively matter of fact. Concerned, but matter of fact. Seeing her navigate her college career, living and succeeding at a major university, keeping a good head on her shoulders and a positive outlook in life gives me great pride and pleasure: So far she's got me beat in spades from where my head was at 36 years ago.  I hope I can somehow can take a little credit for that, even if not by example!

1 comment:

  1. Thank God I majored in avoidance. Your daughter sounds like a mensch!

    ReplyDelete