Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Man in the Mirror




I like to get up early and have an hour or so to myself. I can exercise (usually), write, read the news, listen to a little music or lose myself mindlessly following the trail of stories on the Internet. Mostly just pad around in the peace and quiet.

The other morning, as I was about to head out to the den, I caught myself in a full length mirror wearing a loose fitting old sweatshirt and a pair of boxers (that answers that). No photo evidence here (you’re welcome), but I looked thin! I had to stop and do a double take. I looked like I did back in school. Granted, the light was dim and I didn’t have my glasses on, but I looked pretty trim. Bitchin'!

It took a minute but, after walking away from that mirror, I realized that experience, that deception of seeing an image of something other than the reality, is all too common these days. Too often we invest our time and money in appearances rather than substance. The key to being fit and trim is responsible eating and vigorous exercise—but there’s little fun in either. Instead we can dress to look athletic (Lululemon, anyone?), we can dress to look youthful (frequently a very bad idea), we can dress like we’re thin (always a bad idea)—we can perform all kinds of wardrobe manipulations but the bottom line is always the same: A person looks best in what’s genuine. And if you want to be trim, genetics aside, you gotta do the work.

There's another lesson in all of this and I'll spare you the sermons for now. But, suffice it to say, too many people waste their time and lives promoting image rather than substance. Too many of us are interested in enjoying life's benefits without doing the work, without being a connected participant, without any form of sacrifice, without making the investment. All sweatshirt and no abs.

I still dig my old sweatshirt and shorts but I think I’ll let the look inspire me rather than drive my wardrobe selections. Time to make the investment and do my sit-ups. Dammit anyway.

1 comment: