Monday, January 23, 2012

Carry-Ons Must Fit...



I always see those little boxes in the gate area. Usually it's a 5 sided box, open at the top, and the sign says, something to the effect of, "Carry on luggage must fit within the space below." Not that I've ever seen anyone use it or, for that matter, ever seen anyone being asked to use it.  Watching people try to stuff their bags into the overhead bins I'm darn sure they don't make a dry run with any shoe box out there in the gate area. No. They just extend their arms over head, their shirts ride up, their bellies peak out, and push, push, push and finally, slam, slam, slam that lid on the bin. Size? No problem.

Thursday afternoon Tam, Evan and I were in 25DEF. Looking across the aisle at 25ABC another problem with respect to onboard storage quickly became apparent. The man at the window, 25A weighed in at, at the very least, 390lbs. Poor soul, his knees were practically wedged between his chest and the seat in front of him and, for the life of me, I don't know how he was able to breathe. The arm rest was down but I'll bet it was bent after he left the airplane. The guy to feel sorry for on this flight was not the man next to him. No. It was the guy at the aisle, 25C. He was tall and lean and probably weighed all of 220lbs. Problem was, the guy in the center seat, 25B, probably tipped the scale at 290lbs. And he was probably 5'8". One more bump at 35,000 feet and that whole row was going to explode into the aisle!

Years ago I had a similar experience riding on a DC-10 where there are two seats, then 5 then two. I was at the window and had a 2XL guy seated next to me. When I got up to use the restroom he relieved himself by lifting the armrest separating our two seats. I didn't have the nerve to say anything and, instead, took recourse when later he had to use the restroom. Awkward but necessary.

Thinking about it after Thursday's flight I believe what the airlines need to adopt is a frame for the passengers to pass through at the boarding door. "If you cannot pass through this portal in the forward facing position you my not fly in a single coach seat." It's a free country. You have the right to be as big as you want, but not at another's expense. So please, contain it within your 17 inch seat. Otherwise buy two or ride up front. After all, freedom has its price.

No comments:

Post a Comment