Thursday, January 19, 2012

Manna From Heaven



There is no hiding it: my zeal for Bisquick is beginning to show. I have featured Bisquick in a couple of my recent cooking related blogs and I'm sure my behavior has raised an eyebrow or two. Dumplings: Legitimate. Cinnamon rolls: A stretch. But that's only what I'm telling y'all. Subsequently I've been merrily experimenting with Bisquick, flour, and baking powder mixes to fashion pizza dough, biscuits, and other high carb delights. As I manipulate the ratios and ingredients I am only getting more and more revved up, excited about the untold adventures that lie ahead in the wilderness that is my kitchen.

In all of this I was starting to feel a little sheepish about my budding love affair with a box of baking mix. Was. Not anymore. The turning point came the other evening after coming home late from work and once again reached into the cupboard and pulled out the Bisquick and flour. Happily, it was then I realized there's no shame in Bisquick. There's no apologizing for that big yellow box on the counter. Bisquick has become my manna: simple and unadorned, this boy's daily bread. When the cupboards are otherwise barren-- no bread, no buns-- the lord provideth Bisquick. And, lo, it is good. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, just like the Israelites.

A new world is appearing before my eyes. A new culinary spirit grows within. I only hope my waist doesn't grow to obscure my view.

1 comment: