Saturday, January 21, 2012

How The Heck Does This Thing Work?



My sister is visiting from out of town. She reminds me of a particular problem that can plaque strangers from coast to coast and around the world. She even went to so far as to insist I was once snared by this nusance. I denied that ever being the case but then, after her replaying the episode, a somewhat foggy memory started to emerge.

The long and the short of it is she finds it simultaneously amusing and annoying that somehow, in every new home or lodging a person encounters these days, there seems to be a new twist on how to make the shower work. Perhaps not so much in showers separated from the tub, but in the common shower-bath combo, one seems to find all manner of handles, slides, levers, and knobs to make the thing work.

At first glance I thought this complaint was just a sign of advancing years. Geez, I mean, if it's that difficult maybe she should be thinking about assisted living, for crying out loud. An hour or so later I found myself in the guest bath and decided to check it out right here in our own home.  Let's just say I didn't need to call for help but I did have to sit there and pull, push, and twist that damn knob at least dozen times before I could launch the shower! Sadly, I'm not sure I could walk right back in this moment and do it again first try.

I think I'll start a petition to standardize all bathroom plumbing fixtures in the U.S. Every American should have the right to a shower without intimidation. I'm just not sure where to direct the effort: Health and Human Services, Housing and Urban Development,  or the Council on Aging?

No comments:

Post a Comment