Thursday, March 21, 2013

What To Do?



I have been reading about the recent case in Steubenville, Ohio. I read about what happened and I feel certain this is just the events of one night in one town. I feel certain this kind if thing goes on every weekend at high school and college parties all over the U.S.

I've read dozens of comments criticizing the perpetrators, the victim, the parents, the town, and the national football psyche that may promote such behaviors. The worst of it is, I can see elements of truth in several of the arguments. The only argument I cannot accept is the one that wants to forward the suggestion that the victim somehow consented to abuse by default, that her presence, her partying, and her drinking, somehow fashioned consent.

There are all kinds of elements that lead to these terrible events. On some level it's biological. To a large degree it's probably learned. No doubt to some degree it's considered by some to be part and parcel of the gladiator sports. Certainly there is no simple solution. But, in the same manner, widely publicizing such cases will probably have a chilling impact on similar behaviors. Or not. People are stupid. Young people are hormonally impaired and stupid. It's not all people. It's not all young people. But it's enough to probably leave several people injured every day owing to bullying and sexual assault-- even the "good natured fun" variety found at drunken parties.

For me and my very young son and young daughter, the only lesson to be taught is prevention. As their parent, it is my responsibility to teach my kids the difference between where they should be and where they should not be. As their parent, it's my responsibility to teach boundaries as to what's acceptable behavior and what is not. As a parent, it's is my responsibility to demonstrate what it means to lead a respectful life, a life of tolerance, a life of caring, a life with meaningful relationships.

There are so many things wrong about the Steubenville case. The perpetrators, the witnesses, and the victim all made truly bad decisions. In the end, however, I have to believe there were parents and other adults with positions of responsibility who made similarly bad decisions years prior to the events of that summer night. For me, I can only look to myself to insure my children are never part to such events.

No comments:

Post a Comment