Friday, March 29, 2013

Losing It



I don't know if it's a sign of aging or growing dependence: The other day one of my pairs of glasses came up missing. I searched every coat pocket in three different closets. I checked the laundry. I checked the cars, their cubbies, and under the seats. I checked every room in the house. I checked my locker at work, the lounges. and the OR. I checked damn near every work space at the office. All to no avail. I checked cupboards, counters, and even bags I had thought about using over the weekend. Nothing, nada, zero, zip. I even had Tam call her mom to make sure she hadn't mistakenly taken my glasses case when leaving the other evening. No such luck.

Now I have other pairs of glasses but this one pair has the least number of scratches and is really my go-to pair on a day to day basis. I can't claim I love 'em but I can tell you I was sorely missing them. I had lost a little sleep over the loss the night before but now it was really starting to bug me. And it wasn't just the loss of my glasses that was bugging me. It was my having misplaced an item so necessary and routine that was really getting on my nerves.

And then I saw Tam's purse sitting there on the counter. And then I started to remember how, ever so often when my hands or pockets are full, I'll ask her to be the mom and carry something for me in her purse. And that's when I approached that purse, excited I may find my glasses yet fearing I may indict myself for playing the mom card.

Without going into any more details I'll just say that I don't feel any older. I'm not losing my mind nor am I losing my essentials to forgetfulness. I'll just leave it at this: Thanks Mom Tam I'm happy to have my glasses back.

Now, where'd I put my office keys?

1 comment: