Friday, March 22, 2013

A Mom's Secret




I just now, after 50 years, figured out why moms so often made cookies while you were either sleeping or away at school for the day. I know moms have always claimed they do it to provide their child with a surprise or a treat. I know some moms might claim it’s just easier to get baking done when the house is quiet. I know some moms may claim it’s just coincidence, that their was no planning to it, that the mood just hit them.

None of that is true. I had a revelation just the other evening while Tam and I were making cookies and Ev was fast asleep. Yes, the house was quiet. Yes, he will be surprised. Yes, it is easier to get the work done and the mess cleaned up without the distraction of a kindergartener. But that’s not it. The aha moment came when Tam and I stood at the sink each licking a beater:

When the kid’s away you don’t have to admonish anyone about eating raw cookie dough. Better still, you don’t have to share the beaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment