Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Happy Hanukkah



As a kid I loved Christmas as much as any other kid. To say I grew up in an observant Christian household  is a significant understatement. But when it came right down to it, after all the many days of Advent preparation with services on Wednesday nights and such, it was about the tree and Santa Claus and presents. Observant Christians like catchy phrases like, "Remember the Reason for the Season" and "Keep Christ in Christmas." But for kids, the reason for the season is presents. Specifically, toys.

In about 1966 I learned from my new best friend Danny that not everyone celebrates Christmas. I found that to be an impossible piece of misfortune until he countered back that they celebrate Hanukkah. More to the point: They observed eight days of gift giving. Talk about disconcerting. Why the hell had a major slice of humanity ever moved on from Judaism?? Trade eight days of getting stocks, money, toys, clothes, gelt, and chocolate oranges for some pie in the sky theory of salvation? Not if I'd been king of the world! Not much later I discovered those friends who were reformed. Those lucky stiffs celebrated the 8 days of Hanukkah followed by christmas (small c in their case) complete with Santa!!  At the tender age of 9 I was beginning to understand what religious war was all about: Envy.

At any rate, I haven't converted and so remain stuck with my one measly day of gift giving. But this year, in the name of cultural diversity, I think I'll give the kids some chocolate gelt. Happy Hanukkah.

3 comments:

  1. What about the brisket and the potatoe latkes - that would really round out Evan's trip down diversity lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God you spelled it the right way. Dibs on the teddy bear in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brisket and latkes.....I should be so lucky! As for the bear, you'll have to get in line.

    ReplyDelete