Sunday, December 11, 2011

Chex Mix, Small m



At the hospital the other day someone brought in Chex Mix. (I know. I should have a little copyright c next to that. Everything is owned by someone these days.) At any rate, taking a look in the bowl I a.) was reminded how much I used to like Chex Mix and b.) was a little critical of all the "stuff" that had found its way into the mix: stuff like m&m's and bagel chips.

When I was a kid my Mom would make Chex mix (small "m" back then) around the holidays. It was for guests although, once it was put out, it was fair game. What wasn't to love about that salty snack? Seasoned with butter and worcestershire it extended the notion of nutritional value in a tasty treat-- like Rice Krispies Treats.

Passing along the aisles of the grocery store yesterday I came across this jumbo package that contained Rice, Corn, and Wheat Chex cereals along with the recipes for several variations on the theme of cereal based snacks.  Needless to say, I grabbed a package and determined I would make a nice sized batch of just the good old fashioned Chex mix, small m.

I didn't trust the enclosed package of seasonings so went online to find the classic recipe from the '50's. There it was: Corn Chex, Rice Chex, Wheat Chex, pretzels, nuts, garlic flavored bagel chips-- waaait just a doggone minute!! Bagel chips! I don't think there was a bagel chip outside of a delicatessen dumpster in the 1950's! I've tried going through old cookbooks but so far I haven't found a vintage recipe. I won't pursue an online search because I'm suspicious General Mills has purged any truly authentic editions, seeing how they refer to the bagel chip version as their "timeless classic" in every reference I've found.

Personally, I think the inclusion of the bagel chip is an effort on the part of General Mills to break Chex Mix out of its mid-century white bread, middle American, protestant mold and go ethnic. When you're based in Minnesota, believe me, bagel chips are definitely an ethnic food.

It turns out I'm not alone in this latest obcession. Check out this discussion. Then make some Chex Mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment