Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Gun Control



My friend Larry warned me I would probably get killed if we bought in Phoenix. He was kidding but he was commenting on the fact that Arizona is a cowboy and gun state. I don’t have a gun and I definitely am not an advocate of sporting one for “personal protection.” Living in Phoenix, however, you do see them from time to time.

So, there I was, looking for a check-out line at the local market. I thought I was clever following a woman with no groceries into line. I figured she’d be quick. She looked a little rough around the edges, was yakking on her phone, and had her “piece” holstered on her right hip. Probably wanted cigarettes. “S’cuse me, partner, I’m with the lady.” I turned and there was Romeo looking like a church going meth dealer on a Sunday.  “No problem” I responded and stepped aside, moving to another check-out line.

I didn’t mind any of the having to surrender my spot in line to his cart loaded with groceries, it was just the gun part that bugged me. First, it scares me that, apparently, the only qualifications for personal handgun ownership in Arizona are a pulse and upright stature. The other thing that bugged me was that the gun itself was an easy target for theft. The woman was so busy with her conversation that a tough guy (not me) could have easily pushed her down and removed that weapon in about 3 seconds.

If I ever run for office this may come back to bite me but I’ll say it now: handguns do far more to facilitate crime that they do to prevent it. It’s like the 68 year old woman in my office the other day: when I commented on the size and bulk of her purse she laughed and said, “Yeah. And all I have is my holster. I took my semi-automatic out.” A handgun in a purse is more likely to get to get pinched by a lucky purse-snatcher than to be used to stop one.

Oh well, I guess I’ll just start using the damn automated checkout line. Or maybe a market with home delivery. Meanwhile Larry, if you're keeping score, I like to think this cowboy dodged his first bullet in the Grand Canyon State.

No comments:

Post a Comment