Thursday, December 1, 2011

Cake Balls



Well here's a subject that'll make you think twice before you hit Google Images. Someone in the OR the other day was lamenting the fact she was going to miss out on a potluck where one of the "girls" was going to bring "her famous cake balls." That's what I said: "What?!"

Cake balls, unbeknownst to me, are a popular item on the food circuit these days. (That'll teach me to give up on the Food Network.) For the curious, you can check out a recipe here. If you need an enticement, just consider the author's comments which accompany the recipe:

"This recipe is very versatile and heavily addictive. You can mix and match cake and icing flavors as well as the chocolate coatings. If you want to go the extra mile, cake balls can be rolled in nuts, sprinkles, coconut, etc. or double dipped in white and dark chocolates." (Emphasis is mine.)


How does one say no to that?? Sounds like an activity taylor made for a couple of glasses of wine, a fireplace, and a bearskin rug.

What's amazing to me is this: I've been making "cake balls" since I was probably around 8 or 9. I made one giant one tonight. I just take my slice of cake, mash it in a bowl with its frosting, and then mash in some ice cream. Presto! It's a freakin' cake ball happenin'. Been doin' it for years! If only my Mom would have known all those years ago that I was creating a dessert sensation to sweep the nation off it's bored little 21st century culinary feet, then maybe she wouldn't have made such a fuss about my playing with my food. Granted, my method is a little more free-form but, with time and encouragement, I certainly could have become the Kake Ball King.






1 comment:

  1. Just keep away from the rum balls laced with... fill in the blank. I'm still not over my bad rum ball trip in the early 80s. Flashbacks at regular intervals. But cake balls? Nothing wrong with that. Yum.

    ReplyDelete