Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Where’s the Fun?




When I was a kid my friend Neal and I rode our bikes out to LA International a time or two. As much as I felt we were getting away with something, we would walk through the terminal to the various gates. We’d walk on board and check out the unattended cockpit, have a seat, push some pedals. Try that today and a kid's folks would be getting a call—and they’d make national news if they could pull it off.

I thought of that entering Denver airport the other day. Denver is one of those airports, like Seattle, Detroit, Orlando and a few others, where you take a train from terminal to terminal. I had to think: How much fun would Ev and a friend have someday getting a ride out to the airport to ride the trains around and visit the gates. I want to think that type of accessibility makes the world a better place but maybe not.

I also had that kind of thought when I went into one of the gift shops after clearing security. I thought maybe, just maybe, out here in the “sterile environment” a gift store might be able to sell one of my all-time favorite surprises my Dad had brought home for me from one of his trips to Denver 50-some years ago: Less than 3 inches long, they were a pair of miniature pistols each with their own little leather holster.  Not a chance.

They did have a nail-clipper in a miniature holster but, where’s the fun in that?


No comments:

Post a Comment