Monday, October 22, 2012

Express Box



I got a package delivered to the office the other day. It came in an "Express Box" from UPS. It's a small box with dimensions of 13X11X2 inches. Its size makes it hard to figure just what it could be that needed to be express forwarded to me: A new shirt? New boxers?? Couldn't be. The box rattled inside.

As it turns out I'm glad it wasn't anything too important. I just hope the sender didn't pay a premium to have it shipped express-- although the box is marked "Extremely Urgent." If it were extremely urgent, or a premium was paid for express delivery, then there is a problem: It took longer to figure out how to open the damn box (and only then with the attendant risk of getting a nasty paper cut and/or stabbed with my little utility knife) then it took to ship the thing in the first place!

What was so important? Well, the first line of the return address is "Fulfillment." Dang!! That seemed rather Zen-like. Seems like that package should require something of a much larger box! Nope. Wrong on that one. Just ask Evan. The box contained 3 passes to Disneyland and 3 passes for a "character breakfast" on a Saturday morning. Actually, probably not worth the additional cost considering my son gets to have breakfast with a character almost every Saturday morning! Da dun dunt!!  Thank you. Thank you very much. 

As I think about a package marked "Fulfillment" it's a good question to ask yourself: How big a box would it take to ship you fulfillment.

First, speaking for myself, there isn't a box big enough to hold all the crap I've variously collected and discarded in the course of 50+ years in pursuit of fulfillment. Likewise, I'm happy to report that I need nothing more to obtain "fulfillment." I think I'm a pretty well "fulfilled" guy. Second, I figured out some time ago that "fulfillment" doesn't arrive in packages, people, or things: You hold it in your head, not your hands.

Now, if only I had received that information via package express a lifetime or so ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment