Saturday, October 6, 2012

A Farewell to Hickory Cheese (?)



It's been about two years since I've had any real meat. I'm not into crazy vegan level avoidance but I try to steer clear. Get it? Steer clear. No beef, no chicken, no pork, no fish. And the biggest reason is because I feel so much better with animal meat out of my diet. There have been temptations but, usually, one good sniff or nibble and I'm over it. Big time.

Until yesterday. Yesterday I felt the need to introduce Ev to the Apple Pan, a westside LA institution where I have scarfed down dozens of Hickory cheese burgers and well done fries. Last time I was there I stuck with the egg salad and left feeling a bit melancholy.  Great egg salad, but not what the doctor ordered. Well, it was what the doctor ordered, just not what he wanted.

So yesterday it was one hick-cheese for Tam, one steak-burger with cheese for Ev, and one egg salad on white for me. Turns out Tam likes steak-burgers with cheese not hickory cheese. So what could I do?? We ordered another steak-burger with cheese and I ate half my egg salad before Tam's hick-cheese sat there in front of me, forlorn and with just a few bites missing.

It wasn't the egg salad on white, or the well done fries, or the half slice of coconut cream, or the half slice of chocolate cream. No, it was the four bites of hickory cheese burger-- four glorious bites of hick- cheese-- that kept me tossing and turning until midnight. So far no worse effects.

The really terrible part of it all is that I think I'm over it: As pathetic as it sounds, I think feeling good is better than a hick-cheese from the Pan. Worse still, Ev barely touched his steak burger. I'll return for egg-salad on white but will cast no jealous eye toward the burgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment