Monday, May 7, 2012

Meddle Managers



Can someone tell me what it is with middle managers? I can't imagine this virus is unique to hospitals and healthcare, so what's with all the on-line baccalaureates who run around businesses these days looking for things to do where nothing needs to be done? What's up with the don't-just-stand-there-do-something let-me-f-with-that attitude?  It strikes me as more akin to puppies chewing on shoes than coordinating work environments and facilitating production.

Nowadays it seems if you want to get a job with a salary and benefits it requires a bachelor's degree and a "management" position. Any bachelor's degree. And, once obtained and once hired, you're ready to raise a little hell. For some reason, apparently this is thought to be the requisite behavior for individuals in such positions. Meddle in other people's sh*t, whether you know what you're doing or not. And when the whole spool starts to unwind under your watch, well, then it's time to start taking names and kicking some booty. "Reconsider" is not be be found in their vocabulary or responses.

I'm fortunate in that I've been able to live my working life out of reach of the meddling middle manager. That said, I work with a fair number of individuals who do and it drives me crazy to see what they have to go through.  But, like I said, it appears to be a virus. One for which, as yet, we have no vaccine. For now, take two aspirin and call me in the morning seems to be the best approach to coping. And, there's always some hope for those who suffer: Middle mangers do get canned with some regularity.

No comments:

Post a Comment