Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Field Trip



As a member of my hospital's board I found myself on a field trip last night. I think the last field trip I can remember prior to that was a trip to the Griffith Park Observatory, probably in 1969. Last night's trip utilized a much smaller bus, a much smaller group, and a lot less noise.

At 5 o'clock we all dutifully boarded the bus for a one hour trip to another hospital. Armed with iPads and smart phones we were relieved to see the sign indicating the bus was wifi equipped. Pulling away from our hospital we quickly came to realize, however, that the wifi on the bus was not working. The level of distress quickly became audible. And, I have to admit, I was among those who were annoyed as hell at not having internet access for the course of the one hour bus ride. (Note to self: Always keep phone fully charged in case hotspot use is required.)

I'm happy to report it didn't take long for me to realize how silly it was to be getting upset over being denied internet/e-mail access for the course of just over an hour. It's amazing just what one can see and experience if there is not an electronic device demanding your attention. It was a beautiful afternoon and the golf courses, farmland, and watersheds we passed by offered some really beautiful views I would have never otherwise seen. And on the trip home, the lingering twilight was absolutely gorgeous, the various barns, silos and other structures reflecting the soft fading light.

I was aware of it at the time and am even more struck by the fact this morning: Our impatience, impatience bordering on panic, when denied access to our portable electronics is a frightening development in this era. Not only do I worry about the attachment and dependence we have for the devices, I worry about what we're missing by staying so "well connected."

No comments:

Post a Comment