Sunday, May 6, 2012

Back to the Future.



My son's 5th birthday party turned out to be quite the affair. He had classmates, cousins, aunts, uncles, and grand parents. And it was definitely a kid party with hot dogs, mac 'n cheese, a pinata, presents, and train rides. 3 hours of organized mayhem and a good time was had by all.

So, after cleaning the place up and packing up the car, I hop in to drive home. The radio was on to some mixed variety station and as I pull out the song is Humble Pie, "30 Days in the Hole." Talk about your basic "who'da thunk" moment. I hear a song like that from 1972 and all I can think is, wow, I hope Ev is better grounded at 15 than I was. At 5 you finally feel like you're getting a foot in the door to personhood. At fifteen you're pretty well convinced you're ready for independence. It takes a musical flashback to bring it all into perspective.

In short, there is no possible way to understand at 15, anymore than there is at 5, what life will hold at 55. I guess the only people with any possible inkling, any possible insight, are mom and dad. And good luck selling that idea to your kid! Meanwhile, rock on old old-timer!


No comments:

Post a Comment