Friday, May 11, 2012

From Zero to Nothing in 2.3 Months



I can only imagine what it must have been like for those sorry souls who moved their life savings into the hands of Bernie Madoff. It happens to others as well. People hear about a guy, a broker, a deal, a sure thing. Next thing they know they have nothing. A long anticipated and previously well-planned retirement nest egg gone without a trace.

I can relate, but in reverse. Since Tam and I have started working with Dana I seem to be steadily losing everything and gaining a lot. In the course of just a bit over two months I've gotten rid of a great big fat diesel truck that, while I loved to drive it, was both an energy pig and a nightmare in winter. I'm also teetering on the brink of dumping a second home in Arizona. I've totally abandoned the idea of getting wrapped up in a third property. I feel like the guy who is taking baby steps to giving up smoking. First you get filtered cigaettes. Then you give up the first-thing-in-the-morning smoke. Then the drive-time cigarette…..

Like giving up smoking, this is something that is really good for long term health. At least that's what I keep telling myself. It's just that it's so very hard to mend some of those single guy ways. Irresponsibility has always had a certain appeal for a guy like me. And, while I'm fortunate to have the income and lifestyle I enjoy, a bit of perspective, circumspection, and longer-term planning can't be all bad.

Now, if only there were a transdermal patch one could wear for the retail impulse.

No comments:

Post a Comment