Thursday, May 24, 2012

Doris Meet Ginger, Ginger, Doris









Well, I have shamelessly schlepped my way through another season of Dancing With The Stars. I didn't watch every episode but I definitely watched enough to recognize the cast and contestants, to realize there are far too many commercials to make watching enjoyable, and that I probably won't bother next year.

That said, I was surprised by the success of the woman in the middle above. Her name is Katherine Jenkins and she is a Welsh born classically trained singer from across the pond. I'm not the guy who's really plugged in to this sort of thing but I don't think she has the kind of popular presence in the U.S. one typically associates with contestants on the show. She was a poor fit: Too humble. Too reserved. Too well spoken. Too good a dancer. Way too good a singer. That said, she lasted right up until the very end of the popularity/talent contest that is DWTS. I think it was, in part,because she was so, well, wholesome and refreshing.

At one point during the final show I had to say to Tam, "She's like Doris Day." I can only imagine there's a producer out there somewhere waiting to pair her with the next Fred Astaire-- and an english sheep dog. Yeah. Maybe a show about eating some kind of plant or flowers.



No comments:

Post a Comment