Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Mom's Birthday



March 12th was my Mom's birthday. Somehow I thought it was Tuesday this year. I didn't realize my mistake until I got up Monday. After seeing MAR 12 peek out on my little calendar icon I started to think about her on that day when she would have been 102.

First, let me say how glad I am for her that she's not here. Being 102 is not easy and it is the infinitesmally minute exception that an individual reaches that age and is happy to still be blowing out the candles. Second, the world today would be a constant source of disappointment. Everything from the rise of terrorism to the careless disregard of our economy to the reckless slaughter of the english language. She'd love the computer, though, and recycling. But, all in all, she's better off where she's at, as the saying goes.

I had trouble with my Mom's birthday as a kid. The problem was that her birthday came just a few days before mine. So, while it was great to have two birthday cakes in one 4 day period, it was kind of a distraction from the main event, if you know what I mean. "Happy Birthday Mom-- but can we move on down the calendar to that bucket of Colonel Saunder's and my presents?"

Paybacks are hell: Evan is already telling me what type of cake I should have. That or he says, quite simply, "I wish we could just skip to my birthday." The little rat-- his is almost 2 months away!

No comments:

Post a Comment