Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Daylight "Savings" Time-- Seriously?



As a kid I loved the summers in Portland, Oregon. We would finally have our 4 or 5 weeks when you could see blue sky. After dinner we would rush out of the house and squeeze in a few more hours of play before the streetlights came on-- our auto sensor that it was time to go home.  Daylight savings time was a young boys best friend.

Years ago setting the clocks ahead an hour as we got closer to summer made economic sense: Farmers could keep their hands in the fields until late in the evening gathering up the harvest. Years ago. Now many farmers have giant tractors with more lights than an airport runway and GPS to guide their every turn. Nowadays daylight savings time just doesn't make sense from the perspective of needing daylight to get work done. And the arguments about saving energy? Seriously? Anyone who actually thinks we save energy because we don't use lights for as long a period in the evening obviously is not aware of how we get around the house in the early morning hours. Ditto the argument for fewer traffic accidents because it stays light longer.

Somehow, though, it seems we simply can't give up our daylight savings time. It's already been three days and I'm trying to cooperate this time around. My heart's just not in it. What's worse, I seriously don't get it. After all, no one inserts an extra hour into the calendar day. Daylight savings time is the very definition of robbing Peter to pay Paul. And those people who are so excited for the "extra" daylight at the end of the day must get up a whole lot later than me. My clock still says 6:45 when I leave the house but, let me tell you, it is one heck of a lot darker outside than it was at 6:45 last week. For my money, I'd prefer to wake up to a little daylight then to have an extra dose after work.

For now I have no choice in the matter, but I'll tell you this: I've just found one more thing to like about Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment