Saturday, March 10, 2012

CRAA(R)P



I've been duped into submission. I have bobbed and dodged and danced my way around it for the past 5 years but the trap has finally sprung. The worst of it is I deliberately walked into its jaws.

A couple of weeks ago we decided we should shop our insurance policies around. The house, the cars, that sort of insurance. (At my age with a 4 year old, trust me, I've got life insurance all wrapped up!) So we sent out requests to some of the local agencies and soon discovered, lo and behold, we were under insured and being over charged. If you own anything the insurance thing can be pretty importatnt. Needless to say, getting your coverage evaluated from time to time is a wise move.

Turns out the big money saver we've overlooked these past few years is membership in the AARP-- the American Association of Retired Persons. (Or is that the Angry Aging and Republican People?) Either way, I've been tossing the organization's solicitations in the trash just as fast as they hit the p.o. box for the past few years. Having to wear glasses is bad enough. Carrying the card that confirms what everyone else already suspects ("you're old!!") just ain't gonna happen. Until now.

As of yesterday I am one of the AARP's newest (and youngest) members. Tuesday we will report the happy news to our new insurance agent. I can only hope that by Tuesday night we will be enjoying several hundred dollars in savings that my wife can use to massage my aching ego.

It's probably better than all that. Lord knows it will probably be just a few weeks until I'll be writing about all the fabulous discounts my new membership affords me.  Now, if only I can arrange my schedule to get us into restaurants for dinner between 4 and 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment