Saturday, March 3, 2012

Experienced Salesperson Wanted

Michigan can be an easy sale. When spring erupts the smells and sight of new growth is spectacular and as welcome as clean clear water. Summer brings welcoming lakes with sparkling fresh water for swims and skiing and streams for canoes and kayaks. Many of the states's residents will vigorously argue that fall is the most special season of all.  The colors of autumn extend across the state and provide the color palate for cool crisp mornings, cider mills, and the smell of the harvest permeates much of the countryside. Winter, too, can be an easy sell. Fireplaces ablaze. Snow skiing, snowmobiling, snowmen and sledding.

Then comes the frigid purgatory that extends from February to late March. The weather can be just about anything but useful. It ranges from cold to colder, from wet to frozen, from unfriendly to downright hostile. The calendar says 3 weeks until spring; dispositions say "I can't hear you. Send help."

No place is it worse than right here in my living room. In Phoenix. It started with the timid greetings when I showed up. Like a visit from the school nurse-- a really nice person with a Tootsie Roll treat but you know you're going to get a shot. As we get closer to Sunday morning departure time it seems to be getting worse. As the day dawned with clear skies and a glorious sunrise I started to think I may be headed for trouble. I'm starting to worry. I can just see Evan crying and fighting all the way down the jetway. The sheriff is called and we get detained. "Son, is this man your father?" "No! No! He's taking me and my mom against our will!"

Most months of the year I can counter and do a little salesmanship getting us all on board and headed happily on our way back to the Great Lakes State. This weekend I think I may be out of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment