Friday, October 28, 2011

Personal Hotspot



I like to think I'm not dependent on the internet. I like to think my iPhone is just that-- a phone. I like to think I've got plenty to do to keep me busy for the next 2 years of evenings at home without having to turn on a TV set. I liked thinking that, and I did think that, until the lawn guy ran over our cable the other afternoon.  Suddenly my home page won't load. No e-mail. Flip on the tube... more nothing. Maybe the lawn guy didn't tell us about running over the cable because he's seen how people react and knows it's better just to let them work through the emotions in private. Maybe he'll tell us in a week or so as in, "Oh, hey, by the way: I don't know if you noticed or not but I hit your cable line last week."

When I upgraded my iPhone a few weeks back I opted for the remote wireless option, a feature on the iPhone called the "Personal Hotspot." At first encounter I thought the name was pure hyperbole. After all, I've been in love with my personal hotspot for years, it's wireless, used for communication, and way more fun than even an iPhone.

Having my internet severed has cast a whole new light on my iPhone and its personal hotspot. As much as I hate to admit it, Apple's version has been of more use in the last 24 hours. As for all those projects I have to keep me busy for the next 2 years worth of cable free evenings? Maybe. But only if my hotspot fails me.

1 comment: