Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Perfection

Monday evening I walked home from a hospital board meeting. I stepped out of the hospital and into the most beautiful evening-- cloudless blue sky and the sun still a few inches above the horizon. The wind was blowing and the lacy gold and yellow patchwork that remains in the trees moved in a botanical dance both striking and sensuous. And in that breeze one could smell all the good of the year that is winding down. In the glow of that setting sun I could recall all the warmth of the summer just past-- it's friends and family and travels and enjoyment.

Maybe it's my work or maybe it's my age but when I step into such an environment I get terribly sentimental. I have to wonder: Is everyone paying attention? Can everyone find the richness in this moment? Do we all know how good it is to be out here in our comfortable lives? Can we all look forward to more?

I don't know the answers for anyone other than me. For me it was a perfect moment at the end of a good day at the far end of the year. I hope for many more and I promise: I'll be paying attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment