Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Useful LIfe

I saw a woman today who was just a few weeks shy of 90.  She was plain, plump and pleasant.  That she cared for herself was obvious in her dignified appearance, simple clothing and careful grooming.  That she had lived a simple and unassuming life was equally obvious.  She also had a satisfied aire which, I felt, probably came with the unpretentious knowledge she had lived a useful life. Her's is a dying generation. My parents were of the early part of that generation while people now in their eighties and nineties are those at the tail end.  Tom Brokaw, in his book of the same name, called it The Greatest Generation.  In his book he looks at the many battles, trials and accomplishments of those who came to maturity during the 30's and 40's.

In my practice I see members of this generation week in and week out.  Their numbers are definitely dwindling and, visiting with this woman today, this woman of advanced years who has weathered so many years with such dignity and selflessness, I was left to wonder what we are truly in the process of losing. That, and what will come next.

In contrast, a great deal of my practice is also made up of individuals born in the last 3 decades.  I see too many members of this rising generation who strike me as completely self-absorbed.  They don't appear to have any sense of duty or responsibility beyond themselves.  No sense of community.  No sense of country. No spiritual sense.  Even with their children and partners it seems frighteningly common that the sense of self supersedes even these critical relationships and responsibilities.  Whether wealthy or impoverished it seems to make little difference.  It seems to be about "I want" and "I need." "That's mine" and "Give me." At times I am convinced they don't even understand their responsibility to themselves, demonstrating completely infantile and unhealthy eating and personal habits which, regardless of resources, is best described as indulgent.

We are losing a segment in this country which was concerned with family, community, country, and self; and frequently in that order. These were people who found satisfaction in the success of their family members. These were people who took pride in a successful community. These were people satisfied with a job well done, who had little or no use for personal success measured with any yardstick beyond how well their lives impacted others.

Not every member of the new generation is self-centered, selfish, lacking a moral compass and without any sense of concern for others.  I suppose, and hope, there are a great many young people today who are concerned with family, community, and country. I hope the number is sufficient such that this rising generation will also be remembered someday for the good they accomplished and not as that which deserted all responsibility for others while immersed in the whirlpool of Narcissism.

No comments:

Post a Comment