Saturday, July 16, 2011

Diaper Butt

It's not my fault.  I'm of that generation that was born stuck between old conventions and the new ways.  My Dad and his peers wore suits, slacks, sweaters, sport coats and hats. Clothes were tailored but fit in a manner to look trim but not to showcase the anatomy.

I guess if you're the type to blame Roosevelt for the fall of democracy you can blame Kennedy for the fall of the traditional male clothes culture. Kennedy was the President who showed up without a hat. He was the President who let his hair grow out, even if only a tinse. And it was he who photographed so well in all that casual sports and yachting attire. Thus it was he, so popular with the press and the public, so fit and photogenic, who moved American males away from the well tailored and hatted 40's and 50's and into what we now appreciate as contemporary attire. My Dad was 48 when I was born. I was 3 when Kennedy was elected. I grew up with an awareness of men's fashions which, at that time, were fixtures in our household but soon to be discarded by the male public at large.

So there I was in Carter's, a traditional men's store the other day.  I was trying on a pair of Bills Khakis, the best and made in Pennsylvania, US of A.  The salesman explained how they now come in 3 cuts: M1, M2, and M3 with the first being the original, traditional, and most roomy cut, the latter being the newest and most anatomically fitting. Trying on the first pair was fabulous. Those M1s are like cotton drapery hanging from the waist. Just like God intended and as they were in the 50's. I was pretty much ready to check out when Tam walks in.

Foolishly, I slip on the M1s for her approval. Simple assessment: "No Way!  Those give you that old man diaper butt." I'm sorry, that what? One look in the 3-way mirror and I knew what she meant and, reluctantly, had to agree. Luckily for me the M3 model looked just as bad but in the other extreme.  So, no flagship model No.1 pant for me. And no capitulating to the modern scourge of snug fitting pants capable of raising my voice 3 octaves either. I remain a loyal member of that between generation: I ended up leaving with a new pair of M2s which provide the roominess I desire and yet spare me from the heartbreak of old man diaper butt. From either side I look good, can walk proud, and still honor my heritage.

This:

For those who don't want or don't need a fuller cut. Model #2 features everything found in our Model #1, but an inch less through the rise, seat and leg. As far as workmanship, construction and look, we didn't change a thing. 22" knee, 18.5" bottom. Available in even waist sizes: 30" through 46"; odd waist sizes: 31" through 37". All inseams unfinished up to 39".

Not this:

It doesn't get any more real than this. Patterned directly after America's World War II originals, our flagship model is characterized by a long rise, full seat, voluminous drill-cloth pockets, heavy brass zipper and rugged construction. Model #1 tends to be worn a little higher on the waist and provides tremendous comfort and mobility. So, as with all our products, expect a lot. 23" knee, 19" bottom. Available in even waist sizes: 30" through 46"; odd waist sizes: 31" through 37". All inseams unfinished up to 39".

No comments:

Post a Comment