Sunday, July 24, 2011

Nap Time

Of the many memories which remain intact from the pre-school period in my life, nap time rates among the worst.  Shots?  I remember so very little (There was, however, one blonde nurse I recall asking me to pull down my pants and hold my breath. Harbinger.)  Of all the things that happened in my life before I started spending my days in school, nap time is the one consistent smudge in that block of gray matter.

My mother needed me to nap.  She needed to nap. It was worth doling out a spanking when she met resistance.  It occasionally even enlisted her presence lying down beside me trying to get me to sleep. Definitely not so good when the neighbor boy is hiding in the closet , the plan being to come out and play after Mom falls asleep.  Especially when he starts humming in the closet to pass the time,  "What's that?"  "What?"  It did not play out well at the time although Mom was able to find a bit of humor in the episode--- 15 years later.

In my own home Tam and I have decided we won't get into pissing matches with Evan over nap time.  If he doesn't want to sleep, okay.  He is only asked to rest, read, or play quietly for a half hour.  Sometimes he sleeps. Other times, like today, he just gets involved with his fleet of airplanes and plays quietly for a half hour or so.... while his Mom falls asleep on the couch and his Dad on the carpet. Mom would be so proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment