Monday, July 11, 2011

Owosso Tour de Eight

This is turning out to be the summer of the bike.  Here in Michigan Evan is busy working on his balance and coordination while tooling around on a pedal-less two-wheeler.  He's good on his scooter as well.  On the big bike, however, he remains a prisoner of his training wheels.  While his training wheels were off this past week for servicing on the campout he snuck off on his own to give it a try.  Not so good.

Tam has a nice road bike now along with the shirts, shorts and gloves to go with.  It's all good because she is really starting to dig it and is beginning to lobby for some bike trips.

The past week or so I've started to get hooked on watching the Tour de France.  I can't believe the strength of these guys and the challenges the race presents.  The whole entourage thing is a bit much with the motorcycles and support cars but, all in all, I'm getting sucked in for a hour or so most nights it's broadcast.

The other thing going on lately is that Ev and I head out on the driveway to ride bikes together for a hour or so each evening after dinner. Lazy eights, out and back, round and round.  We wear our helmets and the neighbors must think we're crazy going nowhere but we have a good time.

And that last activity has given me my latest stroke of genius:  I'm thinking about doing the entire Tour de France right here in my driveway.  I don't know what kind of distance I'll be able to cover but I'll commit the same number of days and hours cruising around the driveway making my lazy eights. With any luck I'll find a sponsor like Volvo or Gatorade. I won't have to worry about chase vehicles- there's just no room unless someone shows up in a Shriner's clown car. Perhaps ESPN 3, or 4, will even find a slot or two to broadcast the Owosso Tour de Eight. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment