Monday, September 3, 2012

Waffle-less



Sunday evening my son said he'd like waffles for dinner. What a great idea on a quiet stay-at-home Sunday night. But, alas, I couldn't comply. So, while I grilled Mom her chicken we let Ev push the waffle down in the toaster. Not that I can't make waffles. No. My waffle iron is dead.

Last weekend I spent the better part of 90 minutes in a really well equipped cooking store. Coffee machines that do everything but start with a tree. Presses and fryers and non-stick and copper, glassware and china and ceramic mugs you could use to, well, kill a mugger. Glasses from morning juice to 5 o'clock martini. Aprons and hats and mitts and towels. Whisks and flippers and scrapers and mixers. Blenders and beaters and cauldron size processors. Sauces and seasonings and cookbooks and videos. In a word, everything. "The Art and Soul of Cooking" is their claim.

"One other thing. I need a waffle iron." With a satisfied smile she turned and pointed, "Right here!" just as cheery as could be.  I'm sorry, but when did Belgium successfully block the manufacture of all remaining types of waffles? Do you think they would have one, maybe just one measly little Sunbeam waffle iron; the kind that makes the shallow 4 panel window pane of a waffle?? Not on your life. And the lady looked at me when I said "Sunbeam waffle iron" and you would think I had just recalled the name of the little sister she had lost at the age of 3. She was sad and speechless, unable to point any longer.

I'm going to go shop online and if I can't find one there then I'm pretty sure I know what's happened: Belgium has, in fact, taken the patent on all make 'em yourself waffles. As for the shallow panel squares? Perhaps Eggo has laid legal claim to that device.

No comments:

Post a Comment