Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Day One



First day of Kindergarten. It's a milestone a few of us remember although I'm not one of them. But I do remember finger painting for which we put on our dad's old oversized shirts-- worn backwards. And I recall paste that smelled (and tasted) like peppermint, and snack time, and realizing that canned pineapple juice is, at best, an acquired taste-- and one which still alludes me.

What I don't remember, but know I learned, as the most important lessons in what turned into over 20 years of formal education were: Learning is fun. School is good. Teachers are (mostly) on your side. Paying attention has its rewards. There is usually more fun to be had in school than in staying at home.

70 miles distant from the spot where the above photo was taken, Ev's big sister had her first day of school starting the "15th grade" down in Ann Arbor. She's already at the point where she's learned the above lessons and one more: For many of us, entering the classroom allows us to enter the world as a participant. Education is the portal to owning your future.

I still wish I had a couple of classes to attend every week, for all those reasons and one more: School is basically very good for you. Learning is terrific exercise for that big gray sponge inside your skull.

As I look at this photograph of Ev on his first day I can only hope his experience will be every bit as rich. Lord knows it will be vastly different than big green chalk boards, number 2 pencils, and Pink Pearl erasers. So far, though, it still includes Crayola Crayons. He's off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment