Sunday, September 23, 2012

Nosey Discount Cards



Where I live it seems like every retailer wants you to have their card. Not a charge card. A discount card. You know: It's that little stubby plastic number you hang on your keyring so that you can read "You saved $4 using your savings card!" at the bottom of your receipt. Makes you feel pretty thrifty and shopper savvy, right? There are even little perks like a free donut or something on your birthday.

Not so much me. I resist these programs as a nuisance and an invasion of privacy. I prefer to shop where the prices just seem reasonable and you don't have to feel bad if you drive your wife's car and forget your little keychain card. That said, I finally got tired of being asked if I have a card and so consented to obtaining one of the little buggers some time ago. It's not a great store but it is close by and I do use their pharmacy.

After yesterday, however, I know why I hate the little discount cards and will never use one again: "Here's your receipt and a coupon" the clerk says handing me my paperwork. The coupon was for Men's One-A-Day Over 50. Whatever. Like I'm even 50.

Not just an invasion of my privacy, it's, like, y'know, totally stupid and inaccurate. Seriously. I'm going full retail if it's gonna be about name calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment