Friday, June 1, 2012

Field Trip 2




I never rode a school bus on a daily basis. When I started 3rd grade in Los Angeles it was really my first memory of school buses. They'd line up in front of the entrance before and after school and I would envy the kids that got to ride the bus. I felt they were especially lucky when the bus was late and they all got an excused tardy.  I lived within a couple blocks of school so I was a walker. But when it came time for a field trip getting there on those big yellow buses was half the fun.

So far I've completed 3 of the field trips our hospital board has planned to meet with the boards of potential affiliation partners. As I've mentioned, our bus is much smaller than the one above. Our group is getting more comfortable with the routine of riding the bus even after just three outings: We're starting to talk, chatter a bit, and laugh. It's almost getting to be fun. So far no one's tried to spit out a window or moon a passing car-- the windows don't open and they're pretty dark tinted anyway. But we've got a few more trips to figure something out. If only we could get our hands on one of those big old LAUSD Crown buses.

No comments:

Post a Comment