Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day



My little guy turned 5 this year.  I've gone another round at fatherhood late in life but, so far, so good. When I turned 5 my Dad was only 2 years younger than I am now, and I thought he was crazy.

With Ev turning 5 and Kels just finishing her second year in college I am coming to realize parenting is a work in progress-- gaining a little perspective.  I'm coming to realize it is a role that changes but one from which you probably never completely retire, regardless of your child's age or place in life.

The nice thing is, with fatherhood I continue to learn. As much as I hate the word when used in this fashion, I continue to grow. I cannot believe how much my understanding and tolerance for a small child has changed in the last 5 years. Likewise, I cannot believe how much I've learned about myself, my shortcomings, my strengths, my capacity for life and love.

With Kels midway through college I am gaining a whole new perspective on my own history. Her experiences take me back to my own. To a small degree sharing her experience rekindles memories of my own. Being with her now is allowing me to re-examine my experience, to re-examine who I was, what I thought I was achieving, and how I got where I am today. And I believe doing so also makes me a better advisor to my daughter.

In all of that I am left to appreciate what a gift it is to be a Dad. It is one hell of an unending responsibility, but one I am happy to embrace. I hope every Dad can feel such good fortune. It's an opportunity that, if given, one shouldn't neglect. Done right, fatherhood provides a lifetime of pleasure for parent and child. And watching your child grow and embrace a meaningful life is the greatest Father's Day gift of all.


No comments:

Post a Comment