Friday, June 22, 2012

Pencil It In



I used that term the other day talking with a patient about scheduling a procedure. I told her we'd "pencil it in" for such and such a date, which she acknowledged. She was in her late fifties and I knew she knew what I meant. But it made me pause a moment and wonder, will this soon be one of those archaic terms people hear on occasion but don't really know or understand?

I guess "who cares" may be the appropriate answer. I used the term "mind your p's and q's" the other day and received a lecture on the etiology of the term. I've known the expression forever but didn't know of it's origin. (The version my "expert" acclaimed pertained to pints and quarts.)

But "pencil you/me/it in" is a term I understand from a historical perspective, one utilized in my own lifetime. It's something I've done. I've never been much of one for using calendars-- more of a jot it on a scrap of paper and forget it kind of guy-- but I understand, to pencil something in means, basically, a definite maybe. Plan on it but we'll see what happens.

In this day and age no one uses a pencil. Pencils have become like pennies. There always seems to be one lying around but no one seems to need or use one much anymore. More and more purchases are completed with credit and debit cards with loose change just becoming the numbers to the right of the decimal point on your statements. Likewise there is usually a pencil lying around but, unless you're an artist, most people don't use them for anything.  Even in kindergarten my son will be using an iPad and computer.

My schedule shows up each week electronically. It can be altered with a tap of the finger. I love the convenience and ease of use (is that what "functionality"means??) and the fact that the "scrap of paper" won't get lost. I'm just not sure what term to use other than, "I'll put you on my calendar." Being on someone's calendar in this day and age is far more tenuous and vulnerable than ever being "penciled in." Click, and you're off the agenda. No pink erasure. No arm work. No pencil shadow of a memory. Just gone. I guess perhaps we'll come to realize it's never a sure thing until it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment