Saturday, February 4, 2012

World's Most Powerful People



I saw a the cover of Forbes Magazine this morning. It featured the face of Bill Gates under the headline : The World's Most Powerful People. The top five included the leaders of the US, Russia, China, Germany, and Bill Gates in that order. Subtitle: The 70 Who Matter.

At a glance it is pretty awe-inspiring to think of these people who sit in control of resources and policies that impact virtually every person on earth. Incredible power with fleets and armies of staff at their beck and call. In my lifetime I have come to know several of the most powerful people in the world. I guess I'm just lucky that way, you know, move in the right circles. Call me a name dropper but I just have to share just a few.

The first that comes to mind is Mrs. Mcllvaine, my 4th grade teacher at Warner Avenue School. More than anyone else she had the power to make me love going to school for the sake of learning. I don't think there was one child in that class who did not have the same experience. Without a doubt that powerful woman launched hundreds of academic careers. Her influence has enabled me to grow into a professional who helps improve the lives of others on an almost daily basis. Mrs. Mcllvaine was powerful.

Dr. Freeman is one of the most powerful people I've ever known. He was a GP. That's short for general practitioner, a breed of physician that no longer exists. He touched hundreds of lives in his medical practices on both the eastside and the westside of LA back in the day. His caring and compassion for patients provided me with an example that was extremely influential in directing me down the path to a medical career.

Likewise my Dad. He was a living breathing monument to care, concern, and tolerance. He taught me the value of love and respect. He taught me the value of doing for others. His example has helped me navigate my life and career which is a constant parade of people from every walk of life. The caring and tolerance he taught has proved to be an invaluable resource in understanding the many demands and concerns of others.

My brother Dan is one of the most powerful people in the world. He took care of me for many years, providing me with my earliest exposure to life's many pleasures: Bikes, trains, basketball, books, culture, and a sense of the joy to be had in childhood; a joy I continue to cherish to this day and one that serves me well when life's demands become too intrusive.

Finally, there is you. The absurdity of listing the 70 most powerful people in the world is that it directs our attention away from the most powerful person in the world: You. You have the power to create joy regardless of who might be the president of this country or any other. You have the power to inspire. You have the power to bring peace to the lives of others regardless of politics or circumstance. You have the power to advise, instruct, and help others. You have the power to transform someone's crappy day into a pleasure.

That magazine cover should have been a mirror: The good each of us does is the mortar that builds the present and future for all of us. And that is real power.

1 comment: