Thursday, February 9, 2012

An Emotional Problem



I need to make a flip book of all my posts on this blog so that I can keep track of how many times I repeat myself. That said, one of my favorite gripes is about the downfall of humanity. Not the big theatrical collapse with earthquakes and open drunkenness and orgies like one sees in movies and in college, but the little peeks and snippets I glimpse so often in my practice.

Tuesday was classic: I saw a kid with whom my daughter went to high school.  Actually, I remember this kid from birth because both of his parents have been my patients and he was born with a birth defect requiring orthopedic care. The stunner came when the kid tells me he's on SSI. I ask, "Are you in school or what kind of work are you doing?" He responds, "Oh, I don't work. I'm on SSI," like it's a study abroad program or something. SSI is Social Security Supplemental Income which is provided to those who are disabled from work. "What's the source of your disability?" I have to ask. It might relate to my assessment of his condition. That and I always have just a bit of indignant curiosity as to what precludes a healthy looking young person from ever working. "I have an emotional disorder." Whaaat?? I had to know more. "Well, I have trouble emotionally adjusting to work."

Okay. Can I just stop there?! And you thought I was using hyperbole when I said the downfall of humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment